Monday, December 20, 2004

Chop and smile

I know, I've been slacking off on the blog. Apologies all around. Something had to give last week and this was it.

I've done alot of method acting lately. For a mommy like me, that means completely getting into the moment and acting as if you adore things you hate. Grinning like a maniac while you run the loudest food processor on earth just to avoid my toddler freaking out.

Sometimes the freak out can't be avoided. My third youngest daughter became completely unhinged at the mere sight of Santa at my my husband's office. Hopefully she will make some money off of her scream as an expert horror movie screamer. Is that actually a job?

Well, I've got another doctor appointment to drag a child off to. With any luck it won't be scream part 2; my youngest is getting her stitches out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is in the job description. You know, to leave out your real reaction. If you wore your true emotion on your sleeve, those around you would know that you should be waited on (there is that word again), not the other way around. But that is what a wife and mother do. It is done because the giving of love means more than the expecation of being doated upon. The reward is in the hug and kiss when you least expect it.
Chris

pollyanna_mom said...

My comment on method acting was more about using it as a means of behavior management. I love my family a great deal but I don't think I'm as selfless as you make me out to be. Cosmo en espanol had a column years back entitled, "no sea una mama abnegada" which very roughly translated is, "don't be a self sacrificing mother". If you constantly put everyone's needs ahead of your own with the hopes of affection in return, at some point you won't have the ability to give when it counts.