Thursday, October 14, 2004

Pop Tarts anyone?

You know it's a bad day when you are reduced to buying Pop-Tarts for your kids after school snack. I used to be near fanantical about not purchasing products that contained partially hydrogenated oil. My oldest daughter could be heard asking me up and down the grocery aisles, " does this have the bad oil in it?" Now that I no longer have the budget to pursue that luxury I look back and I see that I was actually rather smug about it. I never talked trash about other people's snacks and didn't make them forbidden to my kids on playdates with their friends; but I wouldn't buy them. I can remember after making a soy nut butter sandwich for my son being horrified when a friend of mine blurted out, " For heavens sakes, give that boy some Jiff". Now if you look in my cupboard that's exactly what you'll find, Jiff. It became too expensive to make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for three kids and one Dad day in and day out with the natural stuff. I made a valiant effort when we could afford it to limit the partially hydrogentated oil and artificial stuff that came in to our home. Now with two hungry grade schoolers and a preschooler with an eczema related milk sensitivity I find it near impossible to go to the store with the same list as before. I just want to buy something reasonably priced that everyone can eat, but as a result that "bad oil" has crept back into our diet. Ignorance is bliss sometimes. Before I learned about the damaging effects of partially hydrogenated oil I loved to buy refrigerated biscuits and crescent rolls. Especially the crescent rolls, because nobody that I know has the time needed to make crescent rolls or croissants. There's some guy out there offering millions of dollars for the first space flight by a private individual. I think the contest needs to be brought back to Earth and a prize should be given to the individual who makes the first crescent rolls in a refrigerated tube made without partially hydrogentated oil. Let the games begin.

No comments: