Tuesday, October 12, 2004

New Mommy Top Five List

We went to the Christening of my chidhood friend's first child this weekend. By we I mean all six of us. We were even on time. It helped though that the baby was hungry and had to nurse before the ceremony. Sometimes the prayers you utter in despair while in the car do work. In honor of Jen and all the new mommies I know, I've decided to make a top five list for new mommies. Someone ought to tell it like it is so I guess it might as well be me!

1) Sometimes a shower is the major accomplishment of the day and that is just fine. When my first child was born a little early and he was learning to stay awake to eat the two of us lived in a big green rocking chair.

2) Assuming you are a duo,keep your instructions to yourself when Daddy is on baby duty. The diaper will work fine backwards, and the sleeper suit will stay snapped let him get the Daddy confidence he needs by doing all the things that need to be done. This is a very fine time for a NAP or a snack.

3)Friends and relatives who are a few years ahead on the mommy curve know all the shortcuts and will tell you so. However, it is your absolute right as a new mommy to be as neurotic about your baby as you need to be. Use that wipes warmer now to your heart's content because one day you might forget about it.

4)Learn now that mothering is not a competitive sport. After having four kids I am in awe of the range at which milestones happen for each child. May you be blessed to find friends that will share more than compare.

5)Mommy and Me refers to more than just a class. It took me a while to learn to be both mommy and "me". Don't be alarmed if you feel off balance for a while, you have just experienced a huge shift. There is are so many sides to this mothering thing. Think of it this way, a diamond is multi-faceted, why should you expect to be any less?


What can I say? After having four kids it seems like a waste if I don't share what I've learned.

No comments: