Monday, February 20, 2012

Message in an aisle

I was all set to go to Mass this morning but somehow I lost track of time and it didn't happen.  I thought it might be rude to show up during the homily.   So I went grocery shopping earlier than planned.  As I wandered up and down the aisles looking for a needed, or at the very least wanted, product to fulfill the 10 items for a bunch cheaper deal I ran into a mom I knew from ballet.   She informed me that her daughter might be giving up ballet for good because the bone has worn away in her ankle to such a degree that she will be having surgery to fix it.  Ballet is not for the faint of heart or weak bodied.   Her daughter is in 7th grade.  She has been dancing at the performing level for a few years and just got her pointe shoes.  She dances 4 hours a day most days and now she will have to go cold turkey.  7th grade and her bone has worn away.....I really can't fathom that. 

 It makes me wonder what road my own daughter is starting down with ballet.   She is only in 3rd grade but she has 3 classes a week.   She swings between loving ballet and not wanting to go at all.  Time will tell if ballet wins out over basketball, soccer, softball, and school plays.  I'd like for her to be able to take ballet just as a class to enjoy in its own right and not fall into the trap of viewing it as a stepping stone to professional ballet.    So very few make it that far......and the price they pay to travel that road is higher than I would be willing to pay. 

This mom's sad story was most definitely the warning sign I needed today.  I missed Mass but I think I was exactly where I was supposed to be.

No comments: