Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Big Mistake in Newsweek 9/12/11 issue

Okay so this is a week late.  The Sept 12, 2011  issue of Newsweek had a glaring mistake in it.  They identified Todd Beamer one of the many heroes of flight 93, the "let's roll" namesake as Scott Beamer.  Yes, they renamed him as they tried to honor him.
Page 11 of this issue lives up to it's title NewsBeast,  Under Who We Admire is where the mistake occurs.
"The first heroes of emerged in the first moments of the tragedy: Scott Beamer and the passengers of United Flight 93..."
   Hmmm, the stranger thing is that I've heard nothing about this error. Not even a mention in the next issue.  Has Newsweek become irrelevant?  Nobody noticed.  It's akin to someone talking to themself in the corner while the party rages on. 

I still have my subscription but I wonder why when I have to take pains to hide it from the elementary readers in my house.  I don't think Tina Brown passed down the memo that profanity isn't edgy but rather shows a  lack of vocabulary.   That's bad enough but now I will definitely think twice as I read and wonder, did they get the facts right? 

No comments: