Thursday, March 17, 2005

everything in its place

Lightning struck this morning as I thought of yet another organizing tactic. Everything in its place. Looking at my kitchen you would never believe I could think of such a thing, but I did. It's not an original thought by any means. I think I actually lifted the thought from somewhere else, I just can't remember where I heard it first. No wait, I think it was in Vicki Iovinne's Girlfriend's Guide to Getting Your Groove Back. A woman ( as told to Vicki)makes sure that she can be found in certain areas of her home at specific times during the day to give her kids a sense of comfort and security. The whole 'if I go there I know I will find Mom' thing. Sounds simple, right?

I must have been ruminating on that in the back of my head somewhere because this morning I thought to myself, why not organize myself by place more often. I'm sure this isn't foolproof and things will pop up; but if I make the effort more often to be in certain places at certain times maybe the tasks associated with those places will be accomplished more often. Example, time in the kitchen = kitchen chores getting done, time at the computer = writing getting done.

This just might work, afterall we already show up at church on Sunday mornings because that is what we do. Most times it works out that it is meaningful and uplifting whether or not we felt like getting out of our pajamas that particular morning. Maybe there really is something to the saying that 90% of anything is just showing up. Now the trick will be if I can just show up a little bit earlier. Oh yeah, HAPPY ST.PATRICK'S DAY!

No comments: